On this episode, we’re talking with the amazing Jonna Phillips. Jonna is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with a passion for premarital couples work, which she calls “Engagement Coaching.”
Jonna started out working with military couples almost 15 years ago, then shifted into psychiatric care for individuals, couples, families, and military members. Her passion to help couples of all backgrounds build positive foundations for their marriage.
I have discovered in my work with couples the more you are willing to have a deeper understanding of yourself and your partner prior to marriage the healthier your relationship will be.”
Jonna’s practice is located in Portage, Michigan. If you’re in the area and engaged, check out her engagement coaching services!
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why Jonna prefers the term “engagement coaching” to premarital counseling or therapy
- Why premarital coaching should be something every couple does
- Bringing personality assessments and other tools into a relationship
- How seeking help in your relationship is like giving your car an oil change
- Using “I” statements to communicate with your partner instead of “You” statements—Owning vs blaming
- Why we (Bud and Sara) refused premarital counseling
Listen in on Jonna’s new podcast! The Engagement Coach Podcast
Mentioned in this episode:
- Jonna’s practice: Brave Counseling & Coaching
- The Enneagram (Jonna uses this assessment, and this is our podcast episode about it)
- Jonna’s article about why she uses the Enneagram
- Prepare & Enrich Couples Assessment
- The Engagement Coach Podcast
Let’s connect! Follow us at @budandsara on Instagram and send us a message with any questions about this episode.