Financial therapist Lindsay is back! Today, we’re talking with Lindsay about her focus on working with couples with breadwinning women.
In her experience, Lindsay has found that couples with non-traditional money roles can often have emotional and financial challenges. We knew we needed to dive in and find out more.
This episode features guest Lindsay Bryan-Podvin of Mind Money Balance, one of only 50 financial therapists in the United States. Don’t miss her first episode with us: 050: What is Financial Therapy?!
In this episode, we talk about:
- When Lindsay first heard women come into her office and say “I wish I didn’t have this pressure” or “I know I shouldn’t feel this way, but I wish my husband made more than me.”
- Some of the challenges Lindsay sees in these types of relationships
- The common discounting and downplaying behavior that breadwinning women have
- See-saw earners—couples who contribute somewhat equally financially
- Why Lindsay recommends couples pool their money into one bank account
- Identifying the non-monetary assets you bring to the relationship
Do Lindsay’s example exercise (fast forward to 12:30)!
- What do I need to believe in order that we are equitable partners in our relationship?
- What would need to happen in order for our relationship to feel equitable?
Mentioned in this episode:
- Our first episode with Lindsay: 050: What is Financial Therapy?!
- The Shopping Budget (similar to the monthly cash Lindsay and her husband allocate): 005: The Shopping Budget – Spend $ Without Judgement
- Lindsay’s group couples coaching program: Boundless
Let’s connect! Follow us at @budandsara on Instagram and send us a message with any questions about this episode.