Since you’re listening to a relationship and growth podcast, you might reach a point where you’d like to suggest a change or trying something new with your partner.
We think you need to put on your sales(wo)man hat, rather than being forceful or abrupt. It’s time to sell your partner on change in a positive way.
This episode is especially for you if you want to bring change to your relationship and are having a hard time building up the courage to do it. We break down a step-by-step process to develop a conversation with your partner, build courage, and bring the change you want.
In this episode, we talk about:
- What happens when one partner starts working on growth or self-development, or listening to a relationship podcast
- How not to bring up change abruptly (“Here’s what I need”)
- How to sell why your partner needs to get on “the bus of change”
- Why ultimatums aren’t the answer
The change process:
- Identify that you want a change in how something is happening in your relationship
- Find a good time for a productive conversation (an upcoming life dinner or just ask your partner for a good time to talk)
- Describe a situation and ask what your partner needs in that situation
- Express your own needs and ask if they can help with that
Bring up something to your partner that you’ve been seeing as an issue or challenge in your relationship. Try out this change process and see how it goes.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Our daily ritual: 002: The Ritual – How to Communicate Intentionally, Every Day
- Our monthly opportunity for tough conversations: 003: Life Planning Dinner
- Brene Brown researched the ‘discomfort time’ between feeling uncomfortable and doing what’s right. She says the bravery window is only eight seconds for most people.
Let’s connect! Follow us at @budandsara on Instagram and send us a message with any questions about this episode.