Do you and your partner agree on where you’re headed in life together? If you’re not sure, visioning might help.
Visioning is simply painting a picture of what we want the future to look like. It means standing in the present and seeing, imagining, feeling success for you at a certain point in the future.
We first heard about this in a business context from Zingerman’s, a community of businesses in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But like a lot of business concepts, we knew we had to try it on a personal level too.
As we define it at Zingerman’s, a vision is a picture of the success of a project at a particular time in the future.Ari Weinzweig, Zingerman’s Co-Founding Partner, Why and How Visioning Works
On today’s podcast, we’re sharing what it looked like for us to write a 15-year vision for our life together, and what it meant to us.
In this episode, we talk about:
- How visioning together makes sure you aren’t chasing different futures
- How we wrote our first 15-year vision in June 2015 (and excerpts from it)
- Our suggested step-by-step process for visioning as a couple
- 3 hallmarks of a compelling vision
Excerpts from our real 15-year visions
Section of Sara’s Vision:
It this point, my business’ management team and amazing, dedicated co-workers run our work without my day to day input. I get to set strategy, help identify opportunities, and market our work.
I have expanded into business products and a bit of consulting to help other businesses be successful.
Section of Bud’s Vision:
I run a personal blog that is based around finding productive and profitable relationships, centered around marriage and how it’s the best investment you can make along with my three legged marriage stool. I talk about intimacy, financial planning, and communication at speaking events, and I really enjoy this as a hobby of giving away Sara’s and my thoughts and feelings on marriage.
Read the blog posts from Zingerman’s below! These have all the details about exactly why and how to vision.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Zingerman’s: Why and How Visioning Works
- Zingerman’s: The Power of Visioning (step-by-step instructions)
- “People think marriage is looking deep into each other’s eyes. No, it’s looking out and seeing the same life.” – Rob Marshall, on Emily Blunt & John Krasinski’s shared vision for their life
- Episode 003: Life Planning Dinner
Let’s connect! Follow us at @budandsara on Instagram and send us a message with any questions about this episode.