No more squabbling about who spends what —”You spent how much on that new outfit?” “Well, if you get new golf clubs, what do I get?”—Nope, nope, nope.
The Shopping Budget is how we manage each of us getting “fun money” to spend on whatever we want. In our budget, each of us is allocated the same amount of Shopping Budget every month, which we can save up and spend however we want (judgement free!).
Not much feels better than being able to buy something for yourself and having your partner just be happy for you. This is how we do it.
In this episode, we talk about:
- How the Shopping Budget is one intentional practice we got right from the beginning
- Why we believe each partner should be given the same Shopping Budget, regardless of income
- Examples of what we spend our budgets on
- How this practice benefits both “Savers” and “Spenders” in relationships
Make a list of discretionary spending that you’ve done over the last couple months, to start the conversation about how much Shopping Budget you’d propose to your partner.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Quicken – the software we use for tracking our expenses
About the Intentional Practices Series
This episode is the final episode in our Intentional Practices Series, a series of episodes where we share the regular practices we incorporate into our relationship to keep us connected, strong, and growing. Don’t miss: